- The IRS normally releases tax refunds about 21 days after you file the returns. However, many people have experienced refund delays due to a number of reasons. First, the IRS is working through a huge backlog. For the unemployment refund processing, the agency took it upon itself to adjusted people’s returns.
Has the IRS started issuing unemployment refunds?
Although the IRS started processing the unemployment tax refunds in May, it started with the simplest tax returns and is now processing the remaining tax returns. The IRS will continue to process these tax returns before the end of the year.
Is the IRS sending checks for unemployment tax refunds?
Eligible filers whose tax returns have been processed will receive two refunds: The first reflects how they filed, and the second refund will reflect any tax break they get on their unemployment benefits. The IRS will issue refunds by direct deposit for taxpayers with valid banking information on their 2020 return.
When can I expect my unemployment refund?
Refunds by direct deposit will begin July 28 and refunds by paper check will begin July 30. This is the fourth round of refunds related to the unemployment compensation exclusion provision. Since May, the IRS has issued over 8.7 million unemployment compensation refunds totaling over $10 billion.
How will I know if I get the unemployment tax refund?
One way to know if a refund has been issued is to wait for the letter that the IRS is sending taxpayers whose returns are corrected. Those letters, issued within 30 days of the adjustment, will tell you if it resulted in a refund or if it was used to offset debt.
Why haven’t I received my federal tax refund?
If you don’t receive your refund in 21 days, your tax return might need further review. It’s best to avoid contacting the IRS directly unless the Where’s My Refund tool prompted you to do so or it’s been 21 days since you filed your tax return electronically – or six weeks since you mailed your paper tax return.
How can I speak to someone from the IRS?
How to speak directly to an IRS agent
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 during their support hours.
- Select your language, pressing 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.
- Press 2 for questions about your personal income taxes.
- Press 1 for questions about a form already filed or a payment.
- Press 3 for all other questions.
How can check my tax refund status?
Whether you owe taxes or you’re expecting a refund, you can find out your tax return’s status by:
- Using the IRS Where’s My Refund tool.
- Viewing your IRS account information.
- Calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 (Wait times to speak to a representative may be long.)