What state has the highest sales tax rate?
- California has the highest state-level sales tax rate, at 7.25 percent.  Four states tie for the second-highest statewide rate, at 7 percent: Indiana, Mississippi, Rhode Island, and Tennessee. The lowest non-zero, state-level sales tax is in Colorado, which has a rate of 2.9 percent.
Does Philly have sales tax on clothing?
(1) The sale or use of clothing is not subject to tax. (2) The sale or use of accessories, ornamental wear, formal day or evening apparel, fur articles and sporting goods and sporting clothing shall be subject to tax unless the purchaser is entitled to claim an exemption under the law.
What is taxable in PA sales tax?
Goods that are subject to sales tax in Pennsylvania include physical property, like furniture, home appliances, and motor vehicles. Prescription and non-prescription medicine, groceries, gasoline, and clothing are all tax-exempt. Some services in Pennsylvania are subject to sales tax.
What is NJ sales tax?
The current Sales Tax rate is 6.625% and the specially designated Urban Enterprise Zones rate is one half the Sales Tax rate. Certain items are exempt from sales tax, such as food, clothing, drugs, and manufacturing/processing machinery and equipment.
What is NJ tax rate?
Effective January 1, 2018, the New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Rate is 6.625%. Before January 1, 2017, the Sales Tax rate was 7%. Per P.L. 2016, c.
Which state has the highest sales tax?
The five states with the highest average combined state and local sales tax rates are Louisiana (9.55 percent), Tennessee (9.547 percent), Arkansas (9.48 percent), Washington (9.29 percent), and Alabama (9.22 percent).
What states have no sales tax?
The 5 states without sales tax
- Alaska. Known as ‘The Last Frontier’, Alaska is the most tax-friendly state in the country.
- Delaware. The ‘First State’ also does not charge its residents or visitors any state sales tax.
- New Hampshire.
- Sales tax isn’t the only tax to consider.
What food is taxed in PA?
Are meals taxable in Pennsylvania? Meals and prepared foods are generally taxable in Pennsylvania. This includes food sold by an establishment selling “ready-to-eat food for consumption on or off the premises, on a take-out or to-go basis, or delivered to the purchaser or consumer.”
Are bras taxed in PA?
According to Pennsylvania Rev-717 the “Retailer’s Information” bulletin, “wearing apparel” is tax exempt in Pennsylvania. Clothing NOT subject to Pennsylvania sales tax includes: “Wearing apparel,” except formal apparel, sporting goods and clothing, and real or imitation fur articles (See more notable exceptions below)
What is the PA sales tax on cars?
Pennsylvania sales tax is 6% of the purchase price or current market value of the vehicle (7% for Allegheny County and 8% for the City of Philadelphia). If you trade in a vehicle, only the difference between the value of the trade-in vehicle and the purchase price of the new vehicle is taxed.
How do u figure out sales tax?
Multiply the cost of an item or service by the sales tax in order to find out the total cost. The equation looks like this: Item or service cost x sales tax (in decimal form) = total sales tax. Add the total sales tax to the Item or service cost to get your total cost.
Do I need to charge sales tax in PA?
Out-of-state businesses and Internet vendors often falsely advertise that they sell taxable items “tax free”. However, Pennsylvania law requires the payment of use tax by any person who purchases taxable goods or services delivered into or used in Pennsylvania if sales tax is not collected by the vendor.
Are groceries taxed in PA?
Pennsylvania – grocery items are tax exempt, and in Pennsylvania, this includes candy and gum but not alcohol. Grocery items are taxable, but taxed at a reduced rate of 1.75%.