Elected by counties, tax commissioners oversee most phases of the taxing process — billing, collecting, processing and distributing taxes. They are generally in charge of property taxes, solid waste fees, public utilities and ad valorem taxes on motor vehicles (or renewing your vehicle).
- In short, if you’re a Tax Commissioner you handle all of the tax matters for your particular county or city. You receive tax returns and process them accordingly, or assign someone else to the task. You also handle property and vehicle taxes, making sure they’re coming in on time and being paid out to the full amount.
What is the job of the tax commissioner?
Purpose. The Tax Commissioner is an elected Constitutional Officer responsible for every phase of collecting property taxes, from processing property Homestead Exemption applications through preparation of the digest, billing, accounting, and disbursements.
What is the power of tax commissioner?
Commissioners of Income Tax: As the head of administration, a Commissioner of income-tax enjoys certain administrative as well as judicial powers. A commissioner may exercise powers of an assessing officer. It has the power to transfer any case from one or more assessing officers to any other assessing officer.
What are the important powers of the Chief Commissioner of Income Tax?
Functions. Chief Commissioners are allotted budgetary targets for collection by the Central Board of Direct Taxes and the targets are divided among the Commissioners of Income Tax and are constantly monitored.
What are the duties of Income Tax authorities?
- All matters relating to levy and collection of Direct Taxes.
- All matters relating to levy and collection of Indirect Taxes.
- investigation into economic offences and enforcement of economic laws.
- Prevention and combating abuse of Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances and illicit traffic therein.
How do you become chief commissioner of income tax?
There are two main routes to become an Income Tax Officer in India, i.e. SSC CGL exam or UPSC exam. SSC CGL exam is the main recruitment exam for Grade C and B inspectors for the Department of Income Tax which comes under the central government.
Who appoints Income-tax authorities?
Appointment of Income-tax authorities. 117. (1) The Central Government may appoint as many Directors of Inspection, Commissioners of Income-tax, Appellate or Inspecting Assistant Commissioners of Income-tax and Income-tax Officers of Class I Service, as it thinks fit.
What are the different tax authorities?
Directors-General of Income-tax or Chief Commissioners of Income-tax, Directors of Income-tax or Commissioners of Income-tax or Commissioners of Income-tax (Appeals), (cca) Joint Directors of Income-tax or Joint Commissioners of Income-tax.